Director of User Experience
Cloud to Street is the leading remote flood mapping system designed for the world’s most vulnerable communities. Our platform harnesses global satellites, advanced science and community intelligence to monitor floods in near real time around the world and remotely analyze local flood exposure at a click of a button. Our mission is to ensure that all vulnerable governments can finally access the high quality information they need to prepare and respond to increasing catastrophes. Cloud to Street is or has been used by governments in 11 countries. We are on track to enable new flood protection and insurance for 10 million people in the next 5 years.
Developing country governments are rarely the focus of world class user experiences or human centered design processes. We do things differently.
We are looking for a user experience and human centered design expert to turn our scientific information and technical disaster support tool into an easy-to-use and highly trusted product for the government decision makers, first responders, and vulnerable communities we serve. You will work hands on with disaster stakeholders throughout the disaster cycle to develop an information design vision for the product, prototype a trusted, intuitive, and immediately useful information service for each of our users through a custom human-centered design process, and build a team to execute your vision.
Scope of Work
- Prototype products and disaster information services on different physical and digital media including online UI, push notification messaging, decision support calls, and in-person human centered design exercises to create an intuitive decision-making process for government disaster managers and first responders
- Facilitate a user design process for each new government user in order to guide the customization of our platform for their needs; including virtual and in person exercises during the first phase of each implementation, as well as iteration and testing throughout the 1-3 year engagement with the use
- Develop a vision for the user experience by constantly maintaining a deep understanding of user needs, defining the problems and goals, and mapping user journeys
- Conduct qualitative research on the needs of disaster stakeholders in the emerging economies and the biggest challenges in protecting vulnerable assets and communities against flooding
- Recruit and lead a world class product design team over the next 1-3 years
- Support market research by CEO and business development team
- 15% travel, including international travel
- Potential: Manage a product design roadmap by working closely with our science lab and the deployment team
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- 5+ years track record of building effective products and services from ideation to implementation for governments and other complex users
- 3+ years conducting user design and providing capacity building support governments and other large institutions in developing countries, but also comfortable working directly with communities
- 2+ years researching and testing customer needs and efficiently managing a product development roadmap
- Ability to understand the needs of complex stakeholder in ambiguous and difficult environments
- A commitment to justice, diversity, science, and solidarity with vulnerable communities
- Excel at making technical products simple and trustworthy to all audiences, ideally in geospatial analytics and environmental science
- 2+ years of experience managing a highly effective product or user experience team (and willing to build your own team from scratch) preferred
- Fluency in map web development preferred
This job is right for you if you are…
- Entrepreneurial and self-motivated; excited to make things up as you go in a fast moving startup environment
- Deeply committed to impact and bringing innovation to those who need it the most but have the least access to it
- Have a point of view on what capacity building for developing country governments and good interaction design is all about
- Uniquely curious about decision-making among the governments of developing countries and about how to deepen their capacity for flood resilience
Applicants are requested to send their submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Subject line: Remote Sensing Scientist, Cloud to Street
- Attached CV/resume
- Relevant publications
- Paragraph expressing interest
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority candidates will be reviewed by July 31 with the intent to start the right candidate as soon as possible.
Cloud to Street is devoted to building an inclusive and diverse company. Women, people of color, and individuals with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Want to work together?
Don't see a position you think we need?